Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Thinking about polar bears

Today is such a hot day.  It makes me think about the polar bears.  I did a project about polar bears and I pretty much learned everything that I can learn about polar bears, but there are still a few questions that I have that are not answered.  There are only 5 questions and they are:  How do polar bears get sea birds from the sky?  How long can a polar bear stay under water?  Can a polar bear have more than 2 babies at a time? Why do polar bears fight? And, what specific seals do they eat?

The polar bear needs the cold so that its habitat can stay together.  On a day like this, I feel like global warming is killing the polar bears.  Global warming causes things to get really warm so when the ice gets warm the ice breaks or even melts and the polar bear could be on the ice.

Polar bear is white with black skin.  They can weigh up to 1400 pounds.  If you look on the globe and you see the Arctic Ocean circle, that is the area that polar bears can live if they are free and not kept in the zoo.  Polar bears are NOT found in Antarctica.  If you look at a globe and you look at the bottom, all the white area is Antarctica.  Scientists predict that there are 20,000 polar bears left and that is not many compared to other species.

These are some ways that you can help polar bears.  Turn off lights when you are not using them.  Don't use your phone or other electronic devices that often.  Play less video games.  Walk or bike more than use a car because a car can pollute the air and that could start global warming.  Spread the word and adopt a polar bear at the following website: http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/shop/adopt-a-polar-bear

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think you should learn about an animal

      Delete
    2. Um. Hello? I think I know more about polar bears than most moms do! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the interesting polar bear facts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do facts pretty much all the facts you can get about a polar bear.

      Delete
  3. YAY FOR THE POLAR BEARS!!!! My friend Mikai did a report about polar bears too. Maybe his was like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things I did not know about polar bear! Now I can tell the stuff I learned from you to the twins next time I go to the Philly zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know polar bears have black skin. Very interesting. Thanks Ryko!

    ReplyDelete